- Absence from this incomplete listing of past guests at our Stammtisch
is not an indication that the person was not a guest, or a guest but not
honored. All who visit are very honored to be our guests, although
some are trying to forget the experience.
Listing in this webpage was determined completely by the criterion that no
one was to be both a member and a guest.
- Here, of course, we refer to Mr. Pompeii. For a little net
something on the other famous Pompeii that came to an unfortunate end,
check out this
only virtual fluxus. Then again, don't. Don't! I warned you, stay
away from item #13 of that link! Return!
- Two notes just didn't seem enough.
- See D. Bohm and D. Pines, Phys. Rev.,
82, 625 (1951); 92, 609 (1953).
- Daniel Patrick Moynihan, who worked in both the
LBJ and RMN
administrations, once gave President Nixon a biography of
Disraeli, in the hope that an inspired Nixon would become a
visionary leader who would take the Conservative (Republican)
party and the country into the future. It didn't work.
Return to Sock-it-to-me entry.
Return to Taxasurus entry.
Return to UMT entry.
- This is pronounced ``sah-rah-ree-mahn.'' The fact that this is
indistinguishable from the pronunciation of Sarah-Lee man is
not known to have occasioned any misunderstandings that led to
serious bloodshed, but it does give an indication of why informal
non-tariff barriers are absolutely necessary for the very survival of
the Japanese economy.
- But they sure had us on the run in 1994.
- See, for example, the end of the
with the mixer Diddy, who mentions using a ``valve'' EQ for the sweet
- We do not lend credence to puerile hypotheses, but here's a
- This is a euphemism for ``hell.'' Since children don't read footnotes,
we put the adult material here, thus protecting their dainty little minds
as they take their first toddling steps along the information beach,
preparing to surf in an information sea of questionable hygiene. Of course,
if they happen to belong to a household with a TV, this effort is like
closing the back gate as the cows dynamite their escape out the front.
- Although one consitutes a quorum, if one is absent then two thirds of
those present constitute a quorum.
- Not yet!
- As the language scholar and orthography crusader Samuel Clemens
observed, ``[t]hey spell it Vinci and pronounce it Vinchy; foreigners
always spell better than they pronounce.'' [Ftnt. 14]
- In Innocents Abroad, ch. 19 (1869).
- The Conehead family was [ftnt. 16] from France.
- Unless you're British, in which case the Conehead family were
from France, although in all candour, they do appear to have been
American aliens from France.
Jacques Cousteau was another bald Francophone alien. (Vide
- Between October and November of 1995, the World Service of the BBC switched over to American usage.
- On the other hand, if you did know it before, then you still
know it. It is this idea, and irreversibility arguments associated with
it, that lie at the core of the question of whether computation
necessarily requires an increase in physical entropy. Just right now,
it's not a practically consequential issue, since the energy expended
in computation is always much greater than the heat equivalent of the
information entropy change.
- Females are generally more expensive than males, however.
here. And for the too fast readers who visit that site: no, it's
not that Robert Altman.
- Learn here
about one such wooly creature with a preference in cotton. Learn
about llama defecation behavior (search on ``squashed tree frog'').
- Visit a 50K gif of an informative
- E. g., Yuh Ando and Tomohiro Itoh, IEEE Transactions on
Electron Devices 36, #6, pp. 1036-1044 (June 1989).
- According to the Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology, '66 edition.
If you're interested and can tear yourself away from the screen, you could
check a more recent edition.
- These microelectronics images are borrowed from a hypermedia course
served from UC Berkeley:
An Introduction to Microelectronics Manufacturing and Markets'' by
Patricia Schank and Lawrence Rowe. The course itself contains an elementary
overview of microelectronics technology, and the business side of it seems
to be five years old. (Approximately 0.7 eternities, in
microelectronics-industry time units.)
Use your back function to return; this note is referenced by a bunch
- ``Knurd'' has been attested at RPI. ``Gnurd'' has been reported at MIT.
- This is the footnote to nothing.
Return? Return where?
Cher once sang ``Charo!'s spin was once the rage, uh-huh.''
Also, Charro! was a movie
with Elvis in 1969. That same year,
Mary Tyler Moore
made a movie with Elvis. She played a nun. Two
presidents later, he was dead. The first woman to kiss Elvis Presley in a
movie eventually went on to become a nun in real life.
- The reason for specifying mean distance to the sun is that Pluto
is periodically closer than Neptune.
- Similarly, when I asked the Merriam Webster Collegiate Dictionary --
Tenth Edition : ``What is the etymology of the name `Jersey'?'' (they
specifically encourage natural-language questions), I got definitions
of what and a list of `of the' phrases:
- friend of the court (1944): amicus curiae.
- general of the army (1945): ...
- cockles of the heart [perh. fr. cockle] (1671)
- committee of the whole (1775)
- man of the world (15c)
- music of the spheres (1609)
- admiral of the fleet (1660)
- lily of the valley (1563)
- name of the game (1966)
- `Manfully,' of course, is just a troglodyte-ancient sexual-politically
incorrect usage. Of course I meant `personally.' I am as contrite as can be.
- Welcome. You have reached the footnotes. You were lured here by a
harmless-looking hyperlinked exclamation-mark because we scruple nothing
to lure innocent browsers to this cyberdungeon.
Oh yes. The point of this footnote is that on the Washington, DC beltway,
over a hill on the outside, a few miles east of the bridge named after one
or another president, there's a repair-shop sign reading `Volkswagon.'
You may return now.
- There was a revolution this year to overthrow the unjust and also
invisible distinction between `guests' and `members.'
You can't return from this footnote, I removed the file that referenced it.
You must have snuck into this note from footnote of another file. Shame on
- This (`Vico reminds us') is dangerously close to what is called precious
writing. Vico, as I don't need to tell you, was an eighteenth-century
Italian professor of Latin Eloquence, but this comment is of course from the
only book he wrote in Italian.
What? You wanted a citation? Why didn't you say so?
- Paula Wapnish: ``Camel Caravans and Camel Pastoralists at Tell Jemmeh,''
Journal of the Ancient Near Eastern Society, vol. 13,
pp. 101-121 (1981).
- Ian Duncan's suggestion is mentioned in Douglas S. Mack's introductory
notes to Jill Rubenstein's Anecdotes of Scott (Edinburgh: Edinburgh
U.P., 1999), a combined edition of Anecdotes of Sir W. Scott and
Familiar Anecdotes of Sir Walter Scott. See p. lii.
- Mischief Night is the evening of October 30 -- the night before Halloween,
and hence Hallows Even Eve. Traditionally, it's the night that physically if
not necessarily emotionally older children go out and play pranks without even
asking for treats.